My current foodie obsession is the humble Shiitake mushroom – and now that my local supermarket seems to stock these beauties on a regular basis, I am chucking them in everything! Not only do they add a richness to any dish you pop them into, but the benefits of Shiitake mushrooms are well documented. In fact, these little morsels are said to boost your immune system, fight cancer, reduce inflammation in the body, support heart health and give you a good dose of B vitamins in the process. Enjoy!
LUXE / HEALTH Ginger Chicken and Shiitake Bowl
2 chicken breasts
1/2 cup Tamari (or light soy sauce)
4 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. mild mustard (Dijon is my fave!)
1 generous tsp. coconut sugar
2 inches ginger, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
Handful of Shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 bunches Pak Choy, sliced into thirds
6 spring onions, finely sliced
Toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Then in a bowl, whisk together the tamari, sesame oil, mustard, coconut sugar, ginger and garlic.
- Pop the chicken breasts in an ovenproof dish and pour over half the marinade. Bake for 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked, slice finely and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prep vegetables and heat a little coconut oil in a wok. Add spring onions and mushrooms and toss for a few minutes until softened. Add the remaining marinade to the pan, then add the Pak Choy and finally, the sliced chicken, tossing to coat in the marinade. Season with black pepper.
- At the same time, cook Soba noodles according to packet directions then rinse, drain and divide into two bowls.
- Pile the chicken and vegetables on top of the noodles and sprinkle with extra spring onions and sesame seeds before devouring immediately!