Mexican has got to be one of my absolute favourite cuisines!
For many people however, I think there is still a bit of hesitancy when it comes to cooking Mexican at home as most recipes feel overwhelming due to their seemingly never-ending list of steps, sauces and spices.
So, when I set about creating this dish, I was mindful that I wanted it to be something you could whip up just as easily on a weeknight as you could on a weekend and that most of the ingredients would already be hiding in your cupboard. Not only are these tacos delicious, but I can assure you, they’re about as healthy as Mexican comes too. They’re gluten-free and if you want to make them dairy-free, simply switch to coconut yoghurt.
LUXE / HEALTH Sticky Chilli Pork Tacos
8 gluten-free soft corn tacos
4 tbsp. Greek yoghurt
1–2 tsp. sweet chilli sauce
For the pork:
500g pork belly ribs (boneless is ideal, but I often just slice the meat off the bone after cooking as the bones add a heap of flavour!)
1/3 cup honey
2 red chillies, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Juice of 1 lime
For the slaw:
1/4 head red cabbage, finely sliced
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1/2 large Lebanese cucumber, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Small handful fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
For the beans:
1 tin black beans
1 tsp. ground cumin
Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 240C. Then, in a small jug, mix together all the ingredients for the pork – honey, chillies, garlic and lime juice.
- Pop the pork ribs in an ovenproof dish lined with baking paper and pour over the chilli marinade. Roast for 20–25 minutes until cooked through and sticky on the outside.
- Meanwhile, make your slaw by tossing together the sliced cabbage, spring onions, cucumber, coriander, mint and the juice of 1/2 lime. Set aside.
- Cook the black beans in a microwave safe dish for 2 minutes, drain well, then toss in a small bowl with cumin, sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Slice a ripe avocado into thin segments, and swirl the sweet chilli sauce through the Greek yoghurt.
- Once the ribs are cooked, chop into 2–3cm chunks (slice the meat off the bone first if your ribs aren’t boneless), then heat your tacos in a hot dry pan or in the microwave for 40 seconds, until warm.
- To assemble: place a spoonful of beans on your taco with a pinch of slaw, a couple of slices of avocado, a few chunks of sticky pork and a generous dollop of the yoghurt. Serve with extra spring onions and fresh coriander.
- And repeat…
Craving something salty? These purple carrot wedges are the perfect snack.
There is nothing more satisfying than this tasty bone marrow dish, hot out of the oven!
This refined sugar-free caramel slice is heavenly...