In our household, lamb is a staple – and by staple, I mean it’s virtually a food group all of its’ own – so as it’s Australia Day, I thought I better share one of my favourite lamb recipes with you all. These rissoles are super simple to make, super healthy and packed full of flavour so let me know what you think!
LUXE / HEALTH Lamb Rissoles
500g good quality lamb mince
1/4 red onion, diced finely
2 tsp. dried mint
2 tsp. dried oregano
Zest of 1 lemon
Sea salt and pepper
Hummus (I either make my own or Macro Organic from Woolies is delish!)
For the Greek salad:
1/3 cucumber, diced
10-12 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, diced finely
For the tzatziki:
1/4 cucumber, grated finely
4 tbsp. good quality Greek yoghurt
1/2 tsp. dried mint
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
- To prepare the tzatziki, grate the cucumber finely and place in a bowl with a generous crack of sea salt and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, add a good glug of olive oil and a generous sprinkling of feta and mix well with your hands. Then, set aside.
- For the rissoles, combine the lamb, onion, herbs, lemon zest and salt and pepper with one egg in a large bowl. Use your hands to combine well and then roll into small balls. You should be able to get 8-10 rissoles out of 500g.
- Place the rissoles in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to firm up while you return to the tzatziki.
- The salt will have released all the water from the cucumber so squeeze all the liquid out of the cucumber and place it into a new bowl. Add the greek yoghurt, garlic, mint and vinegar and stir well. Taste and season – you might find you want a little more mint or need another dash of vinegar. Then, pop in the fridge while you cook the rissoles.
- In a frypan, heat a little olive oil and cook the rissoles, in batches, for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- To serve, smear a tablespoon (or two!) of hummus onto a plate and top with 3-4 rissoles and a small handful of the Greek salad. Drizzle with tzatziki and devour immediately!