Sometimes a salad just won’t cut it…and in the weekend, I often find myself craving something a little tastier! Takeaways however, are loaded with nasties but healthy does not have to mean bland and trust me, these tacos are packed with flavour and won’t dent your clean eating regime. Plus, they’re super simple to make and a mess to eat…win, win!
LUXE / HEALTH Chicken Tacos
For the chicken:
2 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tin black beans
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
For the salsa:
Handful fresh grape or cherry tomatoes, finely diced
1 long red chilli, finely diced
Juice of 1 lime
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped roughly
For the guacamole:
1 ripe avocado
1/2 red onion, finely diced
Juice of half a lemon
Soft corn tortillas/tacos (I use gluten free)
Fresh lime wedges
Grated tasty cheese
- To make the salsa, mix the diced cherry tomatoes, chilli and coriander in a small bowl with the lime juice, a good glug of olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- To make the guacamole, mash the avocado with a fork and mix in the diced red onion and add lemon juice to taste. Set aside.
- For the chicken, mix all the spices together in a bowl, then heat a little olive oil in a large frypan. Add the spices to the pan, then toss in the chicken and coat well with the spice mix.
- Once the chicken starts to cook, add the tomato paste and mix well. Turn the chicken occasionally so that it cooks through.
- Meanwhile, cook the black beans in the microwave for a couple of minutes, then drain well and add to the pan with the chicken.
- Before serving, heat the taco’s in a hot pan with a little olive oil (around 30 seconds each side), or warm in the microwave.
- Spoon a good portion of the chicken into the warmed taco, then top with a little grated tasty cheese, a spoon of salsa, guacamole and a dollop of greek yoghurt. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime and enjoy!
(If you want to make these even healthier, simply replace the tacos with lettuce leaves and omit the cheese!)