It’s got a weird name, it can smell a little funky and it’s usually packed with ‘floaties’…so, what’s all the fuss about?
Put simply, kombucha is a fermented probiotic drink made from tea, sugar and a SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast). The SCOBY is vital to the fermentation process as it’s the base culture which helps produce all the probiotic benefits. Once the kombucha has been fermented (which can take anywhere between a week and a month), the final product is not too different from a fizzy sparkling water or ginger beer. And, it can be delicious!
Here are just a few of the benefits…
- Promotes healthy gut flora – kombucha is full of naturally fermented probiotics
- Boosts digestion
- Helps to alleviate constipation
- Detoxes the body
- Assits in the absorption of nutrients and minerals
- Packed full of antioxidants
- Helps with tissues and joint disorders like arthritis and gout