This delicious chicken salad is one of my go-to recipes for a Sunday evening as it’s both comforting and healthy…but the best bit is, it’s super simple to throw together and the recipe always makes enough for a couple of weekday lunches too!
Not only does a bowl of this salad look pretty as a picture, it also ticks all the nutritional boxes. In my opinion, red cabbage is one of the most underrated vegetables – a total shame considering it’s a nutritional powerhouse and so versatile. It’s incredibly low in kilojoules, making it the perfect vegetable for those watching their weight, but it’s also packed full of vitamin C and cancer-fighting compounds. Win, win!
LUXE / HEALTH Asian Chicken Salad
1 large roast chicken
1/4 red cabbage, sliced thinly
4 carrots, grated
6 spring onions, sliced finely
2 red chillies, finely diced
1/2 packet rice noodles
1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped roughly
Handful fresh mint, chopped roughly
Raw cashew nuts, to serve
Sea salt and black pepper
For the dressing:
165ml coconut milk
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. coconut sugar
Juice of 1 lime
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside until needed.
- Season the raw chicken with sea salt and black pepper and massage into the skin with a good glug of olive oil. Place in an oven bag and roast at 180° according to weight (1/2 hour per 500g).
- Place the shredded cabbage, carrots, chillies and spring onions in a large bowl.
- Cook the rice noodles in boiling water according to packet directions, then rinse and drain well.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, shred using two forks and toss into salad ingredients. Make sure you remove all the bones (save them to make your own delicious broth!).
- Add the rice noodles to the bowl with the chicken and salad ingredients, then add the dressing and toss well to combine.
- Finally, mix through the fresh herbs and sprinkle with raw cashew nuts.